Saturday, May 17, 2014

Climbing to the top...

My new job is with a large tent and event company and yesterday I went out with my boss, the president, to view some job sites to make sure everything was in order and the way it should be. 
We arrived on site to a university in NYC where groups of students set up in our large 100'x300' tent for the planned evening festivities. (a dinner dance for parents and graduating seniors)
As we walked around, we were both shocked to find students armed with gloves, large tubs of Vaseline and ladders greasing down the huge aluminum tent poles. He was a little incensed that his poles were being greased and I was a little curious about the whole process. 
It turns out that as the night wears on, the graduates boosted by booze and excitement at completing their courses, think climbing the tent poles is a good idea, and the Vaseline is there as a pre-deteterant for such foolish ideas. 
I found the whole idea so funny and it made me think a few things: 
1. I'm glad there a people in the world who have the foresight to think about staving off these kinds of things.
2. I wish I could see the greased climb attempt actually happen
3. Sometimes we all need a friend to "grease" our way and watch out for us a little when we aren't in shape to watch out for ourselves. Laters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment