Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rock Of Ages

I didn’t mean to, I really didn’t. But there they were, my toes tapping along to Joan Jett, a rebellious sneer forming on my third grade lip. “I love rock-n-roll, so put another dime in the juke box baby….”  Yes, hell was feeling a bit chilly the day the JUKE BOX was installed in the cafeteria of Paoli Public schools. If we brought a dime, (or was it a quarter?) we could personally participate our own debauchery. Raised as a conservative Christian, I knew that I shouldn’t, but man I couldn’t help myself, I DID love rock and roll and Joan Jett. It was auditory heaven, though I studiously tried to act sanctimonious; like I wasn’t enjoying it at all. To this day, I can’t even imagine how the juke box was installed in the first place. Who was the mastermind to circumvent the school principal, committees and parents and sashay in with a juke box as bold you please? I still wish I knew. If my recollections are right, the juke box spent most of its time unplugged in the corner due to complaints from parents. But on those occasional, glorious days of acoustic freedom, we who were born to rock at Paoli Public Schools, ate our fish sticks and pudding with a sassy twist. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment