Friday, May 6, 2011

Vasovagal Syncope

Last night I went to a “fun raiser” to support the Whittingham Cancer center. I thought that it would be a nice thing to do since they have done so much for me (though I am not very thankful for the boob burning) they are all nice people and were very kind to me in my hour of need. The event was a wine tasting, with several different restaurants present cooking delicious food. (shout out to B.J. Ryan’s for the excellent pulled-pork sliders)
We meandered around tasting food and wine at all the stations but by the time we gathered to hear the speeches from hospital V.I.P’s I was fanning myself furiously with my tiny paper napkin. I had been having pretty severe hot flashes all night and at this point, I was feeling pretty miserable. Things went from bad to worse in about 30 seconds. I began sweating profusely and my vision started getting black around the edges and dotty. I whispered to K “I don’t feel well. I feel very light headed!” At least, that’s what I think I said as I immediately passed out cold, striking my head on the marble counter top as I fell. (K says it was very hard and that the sound was so loud in the room)
This was my first attempt at fainting. I’m hoping that I pulled it off well; though K says it was a very dignified faint so I’m taking his word for it. Evidently, I was out for about 2-3 minutes and K thought I wasn’t breathing which scared him to death. I came to very confused, wondering why a million people were calling my name and slapping my face.(very gently) All of the 25 doctors at the event, (Excuse me, is there a doctor in the house?) made it their business to resuscitate me while we were waiting on the ambulance. Yes the ambulance came, and we proceeded with all pomp and circumstance out the door, past the crowd of attendees, and into the ambulance for a ride to the hospital, with me trussed up on a back board like a Thanksgiving turkey, neck enclosed in a cervical collar.  
I went to the hospital, had a barrage of tests, i.v. fluids and found out that nothing is wrong with me and that I hadn’t cracked my head. My doctor said it was the “perfect storm” of events for fainting, hot room, hot flashes, standing for a long time, etc. One of the oncologists who had attended to me post fall came by the E.R. to see how I was and one of the very lovely VP’s of the hospital (whose speech I interrupted with my fall) came by as well and held my hand while I got my i.v. I am a huge baby about things like that, even after all the surgeries.
I went home with a lump the size of a lemon on the back of my head, a possible concussion, and the sweet sound of this; as she was holding my hand, the VP said to me, “Oh, as they were rolling you out, we were all commenting on how cute your shoes were.” Take me to the hospital fireman, my work here is done! Laters.

3 comments:

  1. being in attendance I would count this as a very accurate and excellent recap of said "falling with head aimed at counter" event. Proud to be by your side through the whole thing...you are amazing and I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. I'm glad you're okay. (Are you okay?) Those must be some shoes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a night! I was almost swooning when I heard, I always want to be there and I'm so far away... I can't like that. Soooo glad you'r ok and I want to see those shoes. Love you!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete