Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Breaker, Breaker 1, 9

What I need, really need, is a police scanner. My grandma had one on her nightstand and she knew all the goings on of the whole town at her whimsy. Police dispatches and fire alarms were broadcast in beeps and static. Sometimes it was simply on; a low hum in the background and sometimes, when things were looking serious, she pulled up a chair and gave the radio her full attention. Her police scanner coupled with the fact that my grandpa drove a semi-truck with an awesome radio, could have had influence on my early career aspirations to be a truck driver. I guess I like me some CB radio.
Yesterday, the kids and I passed the scene of an accident. As is the Mullins tradition, we all closed our eyes (except me, of course, I was driving) and said a prayer that everyone would be ok and that God would help the person who was hurt. Following closely on the heels of the Mullins traditional prayer for safety, was the Glenn tradition to know exactly what happened. I wanted to know who was hurt, who was at fault, how many ambulances were called, you know all the necessary and pertinent information. This “need to know” has been faithfully modeled by my father who is probably the nosiest ambulance chaser ever, but that is a story for another day.
When we got home, I Googled the local news sites frantically; looking for some scrap of information, but nothing could be found. I had to read it in the paper this morning. Hence you see my urgent need for a scanner. Laters.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of Glenn traditions...didnt your Grandmother once see Osama Bin Laden at the Brahms in Mcalester OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she did, but everyone knows that Braums is one of his favorite hangouts, you silly billy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your a crazy scream a minute! Now don't you start chasing fire trucks and getting a scanner, I can't take one more in this family. HE-HE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten about the police scanner! Brings back memories! ~mary g

    ReplyDelete