Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fire For Me

We spent Thanksgiving in New Hampshire and I have only good things to report. We stayed in my boss’s cozy cabin nestled right in the woods and Sher saw a moose. (maybe a deer, but moose to her) We did ham instead of turkey and I made pie and everything was tasty and we all got spectacularly full on too much food. (I will not discuss the kidney stone/kidney infection that appeared the day after except to say that the hospital was nice and I didn’t have to wait too long.)

My favorite part was the family time, just being together and enjoying the company of those I love. My favorite moment was this- the house had two fireplaces and though the weather wasn’t that cold, we kept fires hopping in both fireplaces just because they are cool. We almost drove ourselves out of the house on Thanksgiving Day because the kitchen was so hot with the oven, stovetop, and fireplace raging but we never let the fire die out because we were enjoying it so much. I am both happy and impressed to report that K can make a darn good fire. I didn’t even know that he had fire starting abilities until that day and I was so pleasantly surprised. On Friday night, when I came home from the E.R. he made a fire for me, even though he was out of kindling, it was rainy outside so he couldn’t gather more, and he had to tear up a Coke box and feed the pieces in one at time. As he and Sher crouched over the fireplace, painstakingly feeding the small sparks, I thought to myself, “that Kevin Mullins, what a good guy.” He looked so cute rocking himself some plumbers crack from bending over and I was glad that I knew him. Don’t you love those brilliant moments of clarity? Laters.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! Reading about you being happy made me happy!!!

    ReplyDelete