Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pancake Breakfast

The hubs informed me that he thought it was a good idea if once or twice a week, we got up early and all had breakfast together as a family. My immediate thought was, “ghaahh… what? early? breakfast? cooking?”  I love my kids more than anything, but my idea of a healthy breakfast is eating a piece of toast wrapped in a paper napkin while running out the door. And my idea of morning is to lie in bed until the last possible second, sipping coffee with eyelids half open. I can get ready faster than anyone you’ve ever seen and it suits me to laze about and ease gently into the day.
So I said, “yeah, yeah,” and then hoped he’d forget his great idea, but then he reminded me last night as we went to bed, so I said “wake me up and I’ll make pancakes.” It sounded like an awesome, motherly thing to do at 10 p.m. at night and I had pancake mix so it also sounded easy. But at 6:30 a.m. I wasn’t as excited and I wondered why I had so many darn kids in the first place and why they wanted pancakes at 6:30 IN THE MORNING!
In retrospect, I’m not sure that they did want them, as they were mostly sitting dazed at the table with massive bed-head, looking puzzled at why they were awake so early, but the hubs and I were chipper and we served o.j. and chocolate milk with verve and pizzazz! In true Martha Stewart fashion, I offered the children their choice of pancakes; blueberry or plain and after much bartering on their part, I relented and made some with chocolate chips. ‘Cause that’s just the kind of good mother I am. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment