Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Louse-y

Friday, March 5th in the year of our Lord 2010 shall henceforth be called "the day head lice came to the Mullins home" and shall never, ever be mentioned again. This epidemic came to us courtesy of the second grade class at Marvin elementary and we of course, thank them kindly.
I try to be a mom who is never grossed out by things like dirty laundry, vomit or poo and the like. But the tiny crawling bugs defeated my cast-iron-will and left me thinking, ewww, just ewww!
The unlucky owner of the louse and his buddies was my darling girl, Sher, who had a very important party to attend at school and a new red shirt to wear. You have probably never heard the levels of weeping and
wailing that were done when I told her she couldn't go to school. I experienced so much mommy guilt over her sorrow, that we did the fastest de-louse on record and sent her on to school, an hour late with a scrubbed raw head and strict instructions not to mention it to ANYONE at school lest she get sent home early and miss the party anyway. And the combing, oh Lordy, don't even get me started on the combing.
Waist length hair and nit combing should not exist in the same sentence or galaxy even for that matter. Her return home from school at 3:00 began another round of decontamination and we all slept in shower caps with oiled heads (this was from the home remedy for lice site I googled) just to be on the safe side. My washer chugged along for 24 hours straight keeping up with the rugs, sheets, and blankets that all had to be sanitized. All is well now, but lice, in my opinion, are horrible. Laters.

3 comments:

  1. It was indeed a remarkable event..and worthy of recording in the annals of history. There are several snapshots that I think I will carry on with me forever...so as far as memory-making goes, we should thank that lousy louse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your lousy morning. I've had a couple of those myself. Not a fun day, glad it's over for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive had head lice before when i was a kid, and it really did suck. sorry though

    ReplyDelete