Friday, August 28, 2009

Dear John Letter

August 28, 2009

Dear Jonathan,

I know you are leaving soon, but I don’t want you to go. I want you to stay safe at home. I don’t want to have the constant worry of you facing car bombs and outdoor markets scattered with the blood and limbs of innocent passers-by. I do worry, when you’re gone, we all do. Can’t help it I guess. I worry for your beautiful wife and kids and hope they are safe; can they cope with you being gone? I see horrible stories on CNN about military families and I know that it must be one of the hardest jobs in the world.
I’m just your big sister and this is your life now, but if I could get on your bus, I would. And I would beat them all up so you didn’t have to. Just like in the old days.
Before you go, I want to tell you that I am proud of you and what you have accomplished. You have faced a lot of negative things and though the way wasn’t always clear, you looked until you found the right road, then you traveled down it. Learning from mistakes is hard for us, but you have done it and done it well. To me, that is the true mark of a man. You and Areli have made a beautiful family and I know that the perseverance that you both have shown will pay off big. How do I know? Trust me, I’m your big sis and I know everything.
I love the relationship you have with God. No wonder that the ancients loved to sing the songs of Zion. What freedom there is in simply lifting up your voice in song to the Creator. And with you, I mean lifting….. as in really loud. But we all love it. Don’t ever stop. Except, maybe if you are singing in my ear. Then you could stop. But only til I move down a few seats. Then sing, sing as loud as you can! Now, more than ever in my life, I know that the God of peace is also the God standing in the fire and He is with you wherever you are.
All my rambling is mostly to say that I love you. And if you are ever in trouble promise me that you will run Forrest, run……

Much Love,

Jacinta

Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this letter and I Love this man! I look up to him and respect him. He is truly a gift to our family, and it saddens me that he has to go too. I pray for the strength of Jonathan and Areli and my precious nieces, cause I know it has to be so hard to be away from the people u love. We Love u Jon And u will be in our thoughts and prayers everyday! Love Vanessa

    ReplyDelete