Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Terrible Thought

I am afraid that when I grow old I will be so cantankerous that no one will have anything to do with me. Maybe the kids will keep me in my room and throw scraps under the door, just like an animal in the zoo, and say things like, “Gosh, don’t go in there. Mom just isn’t herself lately.” What if all my good manners go out the door and I forget to say please and thank- you.


What if I talk to myself in dark corners and forget to comb my hair down in the back, so that my bed-head is obvious to the world? What if my glasses are smudged and my wig askew? What if my pantyhose are saggy and rolled around the ankles and what if I have no choice but to wear orthopedic shoes with slits cut in the side for my prodigious bunions?

What if Meals on Wheels doesn’t come to my street and I have to eat all my breakfasts and dinners alone with just my parakeet for company?

What if I cannot hear, and I end all my sentences with, “WHAT?? What did you say?” Who will want to talk to me then?

What if I never learn to knit or crochet or can or garden or all the things that old ladies do? I suppose I will have to just stare at the sun and wish I had been more zealous in acquiring old lady skills when I was younger. Laters.

1 comment:

  1. Your so funny!!!!! Don't worry about the future,just live from day to day. Your in Gods hands. But you should learn to garden and sew so you won't have to stare out the window. Tee-Hee-Hee

    ReplyDelete