Friday, July 17, 2009

The Comforts of Home

I have decided that instead of moving I will just burn down my house. And State Farm Agent Marty O'Neil, if you are reading my blog and while I am on vacay, my house mysteriously burns down from the rat's barbeque or the like, I was totally, totally kidding.

Moving is really difficult in myriad and diverse ways, but the part that I hate the most is the sad vibes that come from the neglected house. There is a point where everything is in the worst state of confusion and clutter (hence the burning reference) and that is where I always want to walk away and just leave all my junk and start again.

Moving is hard for those of us who don't like change. I like things to always be the same and even when I can sense a better opportunity, being strong enough to reach for it is difficult for a stick-in-the-mud like me. Moving feels like wrenching all my security away. When I sit on the toilet, I think, "Hey, I know this toilet." When I open a drawer, I think, "Hey I know this drawer." When I sit on my chaise I know where the table is and where my coffee cup sits. Now I don't know where anything goes and I have to find a new drawer, and place for my cup.

But I can deal with it, so cheers for me and my new place. I know it will feel like home pretty soon. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment