Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fun Factor

My dad was the father who, when we wanted Happy Meals, told us to smile and it would be happy.

When we fell, he had a repertoire of witty quotes that all went something like this, "Come here and I'll help you up."

But he also gave me his lunch money, doing without so that I could have.

He drove to Sonic in the "woody" to see why I wasn't home/embarrass me in front of all my friends. I realize now this equals love.

He gave me chances to fulfill my dreams and I never realized that chances are what they were. Perfect opportunities, but I do see it now, and I am even more grateful.

From him, I learned that sometimes if you wait patiently, things will come to you without being chased.

From him, I learned to trust my own judgment because he believed that I would make the right decision.

I know now, that he was interested in living the experience, about making our lives diverse and enjoyable, about finding something fun in the everyday. He was successful. All the fun excursions to the zoo and outings to Lake Arbuckle and Little Niagara are tucked safely away in my memory banks. The trips down old dirt roads leading nowhere are now treasured. I love the memory of my dad shooting down a 100 foot water slide to delight of my own children. His reason- he couldn't let my boys show him up. I repeat the same quest for fun with my own children. I pledge to carry the fun torch.

I heard from my sister-in-law about their Sunday drive about their small town and I felt jealous.

What is better than dinner at Snappy Tomato Pizza and then a drive around town ogling houses with Mr. Larry at the wheel to point out all the fun sights? I would say nothing. Laters.

2 comments:

  1. haha ben always talks about how Larry would say smile and he would be happy instead of getting a happy meal.. good times.

    ReplyDelete