Sunday, April 26, 2009

This Hand I Hold

Two lovers are holding hands and I know the shape of the thumb and finger, the texture of the skin and cut of the nails. The more fragile hand cupped in the larger; a diamond ring winking softly in the light.
This is not the hand of my lover, but I know it well because it looks like my husband’s hand. Today I am at a celebration for my in-laws. A celebration of 20 of their years in ministry, and they are the lovers holding hands. As they watch a portion of their lives unfolding in picture and video, they unconsciously reach for one another and remember their past together.
I am touched by the devotion and I unconsciously grasp the hand of my lover, their son and I am thankful for them and all they have done in my life. Those who have walked the journey of marriage together know that it is a road filled both with heartache and bliss, pain and pleasure, good and bad. They have experienced it all together and yet consider themselves best friends. I am thankful for their service and thankful for their love. Laters

1 comment:

  1. As you prob remember :) I cried when I read this the first time...and just did again. Thanks for the recognition and beauty of these words...

    ReplyDelete