Saturday, May 16, 2009

Plans for the Evening

I'm going to the City. That is City with a capital C, as in New York City. The place where they make bad salsa. The City that never sleeps, the Big Apple. Full of garbage and bums and rats as long as your arm. Yeah, that's the city I'm talking about.
The City of a million restaurants and millions of people in every size, shape and color. In the City, the musicians in the subway stations are better than most on the radio and they play for change.
In the City, there are purses and pretzels and shops galore. Anything your heart desires you can have- for a price.
In the City, girls mince along on towering heels careful not to get caught in the subway grates or stride purposefully along in sneakers or ballet flats. Men push past you roughly always headed somewhere important and they never say "excuse me" or hold open doors. Its every man for himself in the City, and every woman too. If you are going to the City, you must be brave and never mind the rough and jostling crowds.
The City has bars and clubs on every corner and museums that house priceless works of art. The rich and the poor rub right along together, each headed to their own special place.
My special place for this evening is a birthday party. I will take the train into the City and when we reach Grand Central, I won't stop and stare like a newbie at the beautiful painted ceiling. No! I will walk with my fast City walk along with all the rest striding purposefully to my destination. Oh the City is grand! The City is scary! The City is fun! Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment