Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Been There, Done That.

Feeling sentimental today. I am taking dinner to a friend who just had a baby and it got me thinking about my own kids.

I will start by saying that I have the three most wonderful, and talented children alive today. They are only slightly, if ever naughty and I think that is because as Ry says, I am a "bomb mom." I have no idea what that means but I think that he likes me.

I will answer an age old question- why do women always feel the need to talk about their births and labors and tell every minute detail? to the best of my ability.

I did because I was amazed that I lived through it and I felt like everyone should know. I mean, OMG- what an experience. Having done both natural and drugged births I can't decide which was better. The drugged I guess, 'cause I always felt sweet and sentimental and slightly relieved that I was not attached to my lower body other than connective tissue and had no mental thumbprint of all the agony that had just befallen my nether regions. When I had a natural birth, the euphoria was gone and I lay on the bed talking to myself like a crazed person while everyone else admired the baby. I've seen junkies in the subway that have the same panic in their voices. I said to the room at large, "Why did I do that? Why didn't I get an epidural?" I went on like that for some time, repeating the same thing over and over, until they brought me my son and then I remembered why immediately.

Wiser words have never been said than my mother's when I labored on baby number 3. "You know honey; you don't get a medal for doing this. You can have drugs."

Epidural for me and sweet, sweet euphoria. You do what you want. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment