Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Well, that didn’t work

I read an article about ways to save money. One idea was for the person who was not an impulse shopper to be designated the grocery purchaser.

Since I have been known to buy pretty large things on impulse, like 4 gallons of ketchup at Costco or a car, and K is a by the list guy, I designated him the grocery buyer.

He was sent to Costco with the most stringent of lists that I only called a few times to alter; I thought that we could walk away having only spent a meager 50 bucks or so.

Wrong! K is a closet impulse buyer!

Oh, he had me fooled with his "give me a list" approach, but when he unloaded the mini pepperoni bits, the rice krispy treats, granola bars, and pudding cups (yes, I said pudding cups) none of which were on the list- I knew that he could never be allowed into Costco alone again.

Now, what will we do with two impulse buyers in the fam?

This does not bode well for our economic stability.

2 comments:

  1. Two small points (although I dont disagree with the overall premise)

    1. You did not mention that although I did purchase a few unlisted items...our overall cash outlay was down around $150. Which is about an 80 to 90% savings is it not?
    2. You did not mention that I took our six year old daughter with us, and that all of the impulse purchases were her requests. I am no match for her little girl eyes and charm.
    3. Finally you said I was a closet impulse buyer, but then revealed it to the world. So are you "outing" me, I am being brought out of the closet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's grocer-related habits are almost as bad -- he will spend 20 minutes looking at all the different types of kidney beans to make sure he is getting the absolute *best* kidney beans. I usually pick up about 10-15 items for every one item he gets off of our grocery list. : /

    ReplyDelete