Monday, March 30, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Saturn

Tonight was star gazing. An event hosted by my work for the Greenwich community to see the stars with a lecture from an astronomer. I froze my butt off in a horse field for almost two hours to see Saturn through a telescope. It was cool, but a little bit of a letdown. It looked like someone had taken a tiny silhouette sticker and pasted it onto the end of the telescope. It was a tiny, bright shape with the ring clearly visible. Cool but worth freezing- I don't know.

I did see an awesome shot of the moon-all the craters showing and so close that it seemed like I could just grab hold of it.

One of our kind board members pointed out Orion's belt and the Big Dipper to me. I just nodded and acted like I agreed with her, but to be honest I was not much of an astronomy student. I suppose if things were critical and I had to find Orion's belt I would give it my best shot- but I normally have a hard time figuring out which way is East. I will state that I have an excellent sense of direction, mine just works different than most folks.

All in all it was a fun night with the best part being that I learned that Wintergreen Lifesavers really do spark in the dark. Who knew? Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment